Construction Engineering Technician
One of ASR International Corporation's clients has an immediate requirement for a Construction Engineering Technician.
Interested candidates please review the opportunity description below, and apply online through the link below, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org along with a latest copy of your resume.
TitleConstruction Engineering Technician
TypeFull Time, Contract
Agency NameNAVFAC SE
LocationNaval Submarine Base, Kings Bay, GA
Scope of Work
Assist NAVFAC SE with the enforcement of construction contract provisions, specifically the quality control and safety requirements. Personnel providing quality assurance support recommend approval of work in accordance with contract terms and have the authority to stop any portion of the construction contractor’s work that poses an imminent danger to personnel, equipment, or property.Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintain proper construction contract document files according to NAVFAC standards.
- Review and comment on plans and specifications and provide constructability review comments during construction contract development.
- Make visits to project sites to obtain information on facility/site conditions and develop recommendations during project development.
- Coordinate and attend post-award kickoff meetings and pre-construction conferences.
- Schedule, conduct, and document regular progress meetings and other construction related project meetings with all interested parties to review project status, discuss problems, and resolve issues
- Prepare project status reports when directed using NAVFAC enterprise contract management system formatting
- Coordinate construction operations between contractors, station personnel, and other government agencies and make recommendations for corrections.
- Use and prepare standard template documents for correspondence to construction contractors for deviations from contract schedule or quality
- Provide technical assistance in answering requests for information (RFI) from construction contractors
- Review and monitor project schedules for construction progress with emphasis on milestone completion dates, phasing requirements, workflow, material deliveries, test dates, etc.
- Administer technical aspects of construction contract modifications (prepare cost estimates, review cost proposals, assist contract specialist or contracting officer in negotiations, prepare modification packages for processing by contracting officer)
- Administer the Construction Quality Management Program as required in the construction contract specifications.
- Monitor the construction contractor’s performance of required material testing and analysis in accordance with the contract requirements, review for compliance and make recommendations for corrections.
- Review construction contractor’s daily reports for thoroughness and accuracy and check daily payrolls for any discrepancies.
- Review and recommend approval of progress schedules and technical submittals.
- Monitor ongoing construction to check construction contractor progress and verify compliance with plans and specifications.
- Resolve problems not involving changes to contract value or duration and recommend solutions to the
- Prepare cost estimates for construction contract modifications.
- Perform cost and price technical evaluation on change order proposals that are within the scope of work to highlight hidden and unnecessary costs. Provide input for preparation of the pre-and post-negotiation documentation.
- Review construction contractor invoices for accuracy and provide input to the invoice reviewing official.
- Review and recommend approval/disapproval of the construction contractor’s safety/accident prevention plans.
- Monitor construction contractor’s updates to as-built drawings and verify that they are maintained regularly in accordance with contract requirements; verify that a complete set of as-built drawings is turned over at the close of the contract. Identify any updates that are not completed timely and make recommendations for corrections.
- Verify that a complete set of Operation and Maintenance Support Information (OMSI) Manuals is turned in to the PWD Facility Manager(s).
- Verify the construction contractor conducts any user training for equipment installed on the project and turns over any extra materials stock all as required by the construction contract. Make recommendations for corrections.
- Monitor the closeout process including punch list preparation and completion, testing and start-up of major systems, and final acceptance. Make recommendations for corrections.
- Manage the NAVFAC Red Zone process for completing jobs, beginning at 75% construction complete or 90 days before the construction contract completion date, whichever is earlier.
- Participate in final acceptance and testing of major building systems including but not limited to fire protection certification, elevator certifications, ensuring contractor compliance in the areas of Testing and Balancing (TABs), Duct Air Leakage Testing (DALTS), Digital Control Systems (DDC) for HVAC systems
- Utilize NAVFAC’s Electronic Construction and Facility Support Contract Management System (eCMS) to manage electronic submittals and documents.
- Monitor compliance and perform daily inspection of construction contractor’s safety and health requirements.
- Support reporting significant incidents, near misses, good catches, and mishap investigations.
Qualifications Required for the Position
- Technical and practical knowledge and experience (at least 3 years) as an engineering technician, superintendent, or quality control/quality assurance manager or representative.
- Current certification of successful completion of the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)/Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Construction Quality Management for Contractors course.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the three-phases of control Quality Management process.
- Demonstrated sound understanding of construction concepts, principles and practices applicable to civil, mechanical, electrical, and/or environmental projects and the design, layout, and supervision of construction operations.
- Demonstrated ability to review and interpret technical engineering specifications and statements of work covering complex and diverse engineering designs or changes to the contract documents.
- Thorough knowledge of construction practices and methods and construction management skills as demonstrated through relevant construction and/or construction management experience.
- Ability to write and speak English fluently in order to provide reports and make presentations to Government personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to monitor construction projects to a successful and timely completion.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Primavera scheduling software and/or other construction scheduling software packages.
- Ability to perform strenuous activity while working outdoors in extreme heat or cold, working in confined spaces, climbing and using fall protection equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of safety and occupational health principles, practices, procedures, laws and regulations as they relate to engineering performance requirements and as outlined in the EM-385-1-1 and 29 CFR.
- At a minimum, a record of completion for the OSHA 30-hour Construction Training Course is required. A record of completion for the EM 385-1-1 Construction Safety Course (NAVFAC or USACE) is required.
- Active DoD Secret clearance.
Security Clearance / Background Check required. Your candidacy is subject to customer approval and acceptance.
ASR International Corporation is an ISO 9001:2015 certified company and assessed at SEI CMMI Level 3, providing technical services to Government agencies, aerospace, marine, petrochemical and oil & gas industries since 1986. We provide Quality Assurance (QA), Supply Chain Management (SCM), Information Technology (IT), Engineering Support Services.
ASR EEO Policy
ASR is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment and promotion decisions at ASR are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. ASR’s hiring and employment practices are not influenced or affected by an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, marital status, ancestry, ethnicity, physical or mental handicap / disability which is unrelated to job performance, sexual orientation or any other characteristic / classification protected by law. ASR encourages qualified women, minority, disabled, Vietnam Era Veteran, Special Disabled Veterans, Newly Separated Veterans, Protected Veterans, American Indians or Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander candidates to explore employment opportunities with ASR.