Administrative / Metadata Specialist
One of ASR International Corporation's clients has an immediate requirement for a Administrative / Metadata Specialist.
Interested candidates please review the opportunity description below, and apply online through the link below, or by emailing email@example.com along with a latest copy of your resume.
TitleAdministrative / Metadata Specialist
TypePart Time, Contract
Agency NameNaval Postgraduate School
LocationDudley Knox Library, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
Scope of Work
The Naval Postgraduate School (NPS), located in Monterey, California, is a fully accredited graduate-level university that supports the U.S. Navy, other military branches, and foreign military services with masters’ and PhD level education for personnel. NPS provides significant research capabilities to the Department of Defense (DoD), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and other agencies. Dudley Knox Library (DKL or “the Library”) is the academic library at NPS and provides scholarly content, database systems, and associated services relevant to Naval Postgraduate School instructional and research needs.Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Shall create as well as customize, enhance or correct original and descriptive cataloging in MARC21 (Machine Read able Cataloging), Extended Dublin Core (EDC), and Describing Archives Content Standard (DACS) formats. DKL uses Anglo-American Cataloging Rules 2nd Edition (AACR2), Extended Dublin Core (ECD), Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR), Resource Description and Access (RDA), Describing Archives Content Standard (DACS) and local authority files as the cataloguing standards.
- Shall assist in identifying, analyzing and updating information found in bibliographic catalog records in Alma, pertaining to metadata, URL linking, access and discovery.
- Shall research and implement, with library staff assistance, a serials module in the library’s online service platform, ExLibris Alma, in order to accommodate the management of approximately 75 print journals the library receives on a regular basis.
- Shall research and implement, with library staff assistance, a module in the library’s online service platform, ExLibris Alma, in order to track vendor analytics and related information.
- Shall digitize materials identified by library staff. Contractor will be expected to correctly use scanning equipment and software. Proper handling of materials, while adhering to local procedures and standards that will be provided to Contractor by library staff, is required. Files will be digitized into a variety of formats (PDF, etc.).
- Shall utilize automated tools and resources to capture and import bibliographic data from OCLC, publisher databases, and other sources and to correct/add specific content to that data in compliance with recognized cataloging standards and DKL local guidelines.
- Responsible for following and documenting cataloging and metadata decisions and processes unique to the NPS environment; for gathering and reporting cataloging metrics in support of library initiatives; and for interpreting and applying appropriate metadata standards, guidelines, and protocols; and for analyzing and entering metadata for bibliographic records into library database systems including: ExLibris Alma; Calhoun, the NPS Archive and PastPerfect.
Qualifications Required for the Position
- A minimum of 3 cumulative years of work experience producing, reviewing and updating catalog records, and working with bibliographic and holdings data in a library services platform or ILS (integrated library system) such as Sirsi, Ex Libris, Innovative Interfaces, etc., in English and prepared in accordance with Anglo-American Cataloging Rules (AACR2), MARC21 (Machine Readable Cataloging), OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards, Resource Description and Access (RDA), Library of Congress Classification (LCC), Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and Extended Dublin Core standards
- MLS or MLIS degree.
Security Clearance / Background Check required. Your candidacy is subject to customer approval and acceptance.
ASR International Corporation is an ISO 9001:2015 certified company and assessed at SEI CMMI Level 3, providing technical services to Government agencies, aerospace, marine, petrochemical and oil & gas industries since 1986. We provide Quality Assurance (QA), Supply Chain Management (SCM), Information Technology (IT), Engineering Support Services.
ASR EEO Policy
ASR is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment and promotion decisions at ASR are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. ASR’s hiring and employment practices are not influenced or affected by an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, marital status, ancestry, ethnicity, physical or mental handicap / disability which is unrelated to job performance, sexual orientation or any other characteristic / classification protected by law. ASR encourages qualified women, minority, disabled, Vietnam Era Veteran, Special Disabled Veterans, Newly Separated Veterans, Protected Veterans, American Indians or Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander candidates to explore employment opportunities with ASR.